Sawston Medical Centre, Linton Health Centre, Barley Surgery
Market Hill Surgery & Shelford Health Centre
NHS logo

Sawston Medical Centre, Linton Health Centre, Barley Surgery, Market Hill Surgery & Shelford Health Centre

COVID-19 Vaccines FAQs

Please find below answers to some of the common questions we are asked regarding the coronavirus vaccines.

Who can have a “Spring Booster”?

  • You will be offered a Spring booster if you are:
  • aged 75 and over
  • are housebound
  • live in a care home for older people
  • are aged 12 and over and have a weakened immune system

COVID-19 may affect you more seriously if you are in one of the groups above. The Spring Booster is being offered to help reduce your risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19. If you are housebound your vaccination will be done by community nurses. They will contact you direct when it is your turn to have the injection.

“I have had my fourth dose – do I have to have the Spring Booster as well?”

No, you do not. If you have had a full course of primary vaccinations (2 or 3 doses) but have not yet received a booster by March 2022 you may be given the Spring Booster, provided there is at least 3 months from your last dose. If you have already had 4 doses you then an additional dose is not recommended until the autumn campaign.

“I need a ‘Third Primary Dose’ – how do I arrange this?”

If your hospital consultant would like you to have a third primary dose they will need to send us a letter requesting this. We will then supply you with a CCG letter that you can present at any walk-in vaccination centre.

“I need a ‘Fourth Dose’ – how do I arrange this?”

If your hospital consultant would like you to have a fourth dose, you can either use your existing third primary dose letter or the hospital will need to send us a letter requesting a fourth dose. We will then supply you with a CCG letter that you can present at any walk-in vaccination centre.

“What is happening with the vaccinations for 5 to 11 year olds?”

5 to 11 year olds can be booked in to have their vaccination via the National Booking Service. Please note that we will not be vaccinating this cohort of patients, and so politely request that you do not contact us about these vaccinations.  

“When can I book my COVID booster?”

You can book your booster 2 months from the date of your second vaccination, for administration three months (91 days) from your second vaccination.

You can book your booster via the National Booking System website. More appointments are added every day so if you can’t see a convenient local service at the time of trying, please try later in the day or the next day. All of the vaccination services are working at pace to increase the number of appointments they can offer. 

“I haven’t had any vaccines yet – is it too late to start the course?”

No, it is never to late too start. You can book online via the National Booking Service or go to a walk in centre. Please remember to indicate which dose you want so that it is recorded correctly on the national database – you will be recalled when your next dose is due.

“How do I get a digital NHS COVID Pass?”

There are 2 ways you can get your digital pass – download and use the NHS App or online NHS COVID Pass service. Click here for further information. A digital COVID Pass is valid for 30 days. The 30-day period refreshes and starts again each time you log in.

“My child needs a COVID Pass – how do I get one?”

The NHS COVID Pass service is now available to 12-15 year olds, accessible via for those aged 12 and over, and the NHS App for those aged 13 and over.

Children do not need to contact GP surgeries to get an NHS login to generate a COVID Pass via the NHS App.

Children will be able to access their digital NHS COVID Pass but it will withhold their other medical data.

Children under 18 do not have to demonstrate their COVID-19 status for entry to domestic events or venues in England.

“I have recovered from Coronavirus – will this show on my COVID Pass?” 

If you have an NHS COVID Pass for travel based on a positive PCR test, the 30-day period will refresh for up to 180 days after you have taken the test. Click here for further information.

“How do I get a Recovery Letter / Certificate for travel?”

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 and have recovered in the last 6 months, you can apply for a Recovery Certificate. There are now many private companies that can produce these certificates.
Please note that we do not provide COVID-19 Recovery Letters / Certificates but some private GPs / private practices do offer this service. You will be asked to complete an online form and there may be a charge. Certificates are verified quickly and documentation can be sent to you within 24 to 48 hours, depending on which company you decide to use. Enter “Covid Recovery Letters” into a Search Engine for further information and a list of service providers.
“I had my COVID-19 vaccines abroad (including any country outside of England) – how can I get them to appear on my COVID Pass?”

If you are aged 16 years old or over and have had one or more COVID-19 vaccination aboard approved by the World Health Organisation (WHO), you can book an appointment at a vaccination site to show evidence of your vaccinations and request an update on your record.

“My COVID-19 vaccination details are incorrect / missing – how can I get this rectified?”

If you have had your vaccinations in England but there is an error on your vaccination record or if you have an incomplete record, please call 119 and ask to be referred to the Vaccine Data Resolution Service (VDRS).  When ringing please:

  • Select option 1 (“England”) then

  • Select option 4 (“To report an issue with your vaccination record”)

The call agents will take some details from you and make an electronic referral into the VDRS service.

The VDRS team will aim to contact you within 21 days. The number they will call you from is 01869 817119. They will make 3 attempts to contact you and if unsuccessful you will then have to start the process again.

Alternatively, you can access this service here

“I had a bad reaction to a particular type of vaccine – can I have a different one as my booster?”

You can, but you would need to let us know and we will then query this with our local Clinical Commissioning Group. You do need to have a genuine medical reason, and it cannot just be personal choice. 

“I don’t want to keep receiving any reminders/letters about getting my Covid-19 injections – how can I stop getting these?”

You can request that you do not receive any further reminders about Covid-19 vaccinations by clicking here and following the instructions.

Keep up to date with the latest coronavirus guidance by going to and

If you need support there is local help available: Barkway   |   Barley   |   Linton   |   Sawston   |   Shelford

Main symptoms of COVID-19

  • A high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • A new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • Loss of change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

COVID-19 symptoms in children

Children can get coronavirus (COVID-19), but they seem to get it less often than adults and it’s usually less serious.

The main symptoms of COVID-19 are as detailed above.

Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:

  • You feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home
  • Your condition gets worse
  • Your symptoms do not get better after 7 days

Click here to use the online 111 coronavirus service

Please only call 111 if you cannot get help online.

Have you had your covid vaccine yet?

If no, please use the National Booking Service (NBS) to reserve a slot at one of more than 100 NHS vaccination centres or almost 200 pharmacy-led services across the country. This booking service can be accessed here. Those who do not have access to online can call 119 free of charge. 

There are also walk-in clinics available – no appointment required – just turn up. For walk-in clinics area please click on one of the following links:-

Cambridgeshire & Peterborough or Hertfordshire

Staying alert and safe (social distancing)

When outside your home, it is important to try and stay 2 metres (3 steps) away from anyone you do not live with.

A message from Healthwatch:

We at Healthwatch in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough would like to thank the staff and volunteers who contributed to phase one of the vaccination programme within your PCN for all of your hard work. We know what a busy and stressful time this has been, but what you have achieved in helping to protect the most vulnerable in your community is truly amazing. Local people often tell us how much they appreciate the work you do in helping to keep people safe. Thank you again.”

Sandie Smith, Chief Executive

Whilst face coverings are no longer required by law in indoor venues, we respectfully ask that patients and visitors continue to wear face coverings (unless exempt) and follow social distancing measures when coming into any of our buildings.
Please help keep our staff, our patients and our community safe and continue to reduce the risk of infection.